Important Lutron and Nest Product Integration Update (August 16, 2019)
1. What is happening with Lutron systems and Nest products?
a. Earlier this year, Google announced that they will be discontinuing the works Works with Nest program and start moving all Nest functionality under the Works with Google Assistant program for integration with other products, like Lutron.
2. What does this mean for my Lutron system?
a. Customers with existing Nest-Lutron integrations will see no impact. However, if you migrate your Nest account to a Google account, your system will lose the integration, and the migration cannot be reversed. If you wish to migrate your account, you can use the Works with Google Assistant platform for voice control and other functionality provided by Google Assistant for controlling your Nest and Lutron devices.
Further, as of August 31st, no new Nest accounts can be created. Everyone that purchases a Nest product after that date will have to create a Google account, and will not be able to take advantage of the Lutron-Nest integration natively in the Lutron App. All Lutron-Nest integrations in this case would need to be done through the Google Assistant.
3. When will Lutron systems be affected by the elimination of the Works with Nest program?
a. New users looking to create a Nest account and integrate with Lutron will no longer be able to do so as of August 31, 2019.
b. Existing users will see no impact to the integration unless they migrate their account to Google, at which point, all integrations with Lutron-Nest will cease to function.
c. You can also monitor Google’s plans for “Works with Nest” here for changes to existing Nest accounts.
d. If you do not currently have Nest products or plan on purchasing Nest products in the near future, this does not impact you.
4. Does the elimination of the Works with Nest program affect the way I use the Google Assistant to control my Lutron system lights and shades?
a. No. Lutron systems will continue to be controlled by the Google Assistant through voice, the Google Home and Google Assistant apps, and through Home View on Google-enabled smart displays.
5. Does the Google Assistant provide the same Lutron integration features that exist under the Works with Nest program?
a. No. Lutron systems will continue to be controlled by the Google Assistant through voice, the Google Home and Google Assistant apps, and through Home View on Google-enabled smart displays. Lutron will continue to work closely with Google on future integration features as part of its participation in the Works with Google Assistant program.
6. Will customers be able to access any other Lutron-compatible thermostats from the Lutron and Connect apps?
a. The Lutron App for Caséta by Lutron and RA2 Select remains compatible with various thermostats from Carrier, Ecobee, and Honeywell.
b. The Connect app for RadioRA 2 and HomeWorks QS remains compatible with various thermostats from Honeywell as well as thermostats offered by Lutron.
7. Do the Lutron-compatible Carrier, Ecobee and Honeywell thermostats offer the same integration features as the Nest thermostat?
a. You can control Lutron compatible thermostats from the Lutron and Connect apps in the same way the Nest thermostat is controlled in the app.
b. Other integrated features unique to Nest products, like Home/Away assist, will not be available in the Lutron or Connect apps.
8. Can any other cameras, smoke and CO detectors be integrated with Lutron systems?
a. Not at this time. Lutron continues to work with best-in-class brands to deliver a superior user experience and expand its list of smart home product integration.
For additional assistance, please email email@example.com or call Lutron’s 24/7 Technical Support Team at 1-800-523-9466.
Click here to review Google’s statement and review their Frequently Asked Questions.